Thursday, September 9, 2010

A New Phase Begins

Today, I am unemployed. Yesterday, my employer of over 7 years laid me off and today was my last day of work. The layoff process was quite different from when I was laid off from another company in 2002. That day, there was an armed guard in the lobby of our office building to ensure we meekly accepted our booting. And, once we received word of our dismissal, not one moment more was spent working. Turn over your laptop and head out the door. Here, at least, I got one day to try and do a brain dump for my colleagues who will be left to carry on managing the 25 balls I had flying through the air.

I have experienced a lot of emotions over the last 36 hours. I'd say they are surprise, anger, sadness, relief, euphoria, bitterness, euphoria, melancholy, euphoria and a sense of loss as I bid goodbye to my work friends and my ability to exercise my professional skills (at least for now). It's been a revelation to me in the last day and half to realize just how much the demands of this job weighed on me; as the burden has gone the spirit has lifted dramatically. I see now that I can be happy again.

My severance package is generous and I do not have an immediate need to find a new job. This is a wonderful gift as I sit here at 54 and contemplate a time of respite. I want to take some time to 1) enjoy this period of freedom, 2) find ways to cut expenses from our day-to-life so our income needs drop and then 3) figure out what I can do for employment that will give me the flexibility to work from home and provide a measure of personal and professional fulfillment. This is a journey I'm looking forward to. Of course, there will also be plenty of time for relaxation.

11 comments:

Judy said...

Good luck on your new journey.
Judy

Unknown said...

You have mastered the 'dramatic pause' in blogging. Enjoy the journey.

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick

zoomdoggies said...

Welcome back, Cranky. I'm looking forward to following along on your new adventure.

Herrad said...

Hi Cranky,
Go for it, I am sure you will enjoy your new adventure to the full.
Love,
Herrad

Derek said...

I know it's hard to deal with being laid off without warning like that, but not too far down the road you'll find there's a door open that makes you wonder why you stayed there as long as you did!

Keep your chin up cranky!

awb said...

You didn't want to work there anyway, probably Yankees fans!

Andy

Muffie said...

Cranky, so sorry about the layoff, but glad you will get some rest. I'm sure you'll be able to find something that will be worthwhile. Enjoy the break.
Peace,
Muff

Cranky said...

Thanks, everyone. Your comments are so welcome and appreciated. I, too, am looking forward to this journey.

Derek - I checked out your blog. A CRANKY blog! Have added it to the roll to keep an eye on it.

Diane J Standiford said...

I agree with Derek (an sounds like I too must check out his blog!) and while I was sad to leave my job (out on disability, so not the same) it showed me how much that grind weighed on me. Every time the phone rang, somebody had a problem. Every third call started with chewing me out. 18 years of that beratement is 18 too many, really. I miss my routine and co-workers and even all those nasty callers, but life is so much more LIFE now. I am happy for you and I have NO doubt that when the time comes you will find work you love. ENJOY!

Marie said...

I'm so sorry. Getting laid off is stunning, no matter how good a thing it turns out to be in the end. Be good to yourself while you get over the shock.

But it could be a great chance to start a whole new career. Fifty four is still young! :)

I wanted to invite you, and anyone else reading, to stop by my new (cranky! lol) blog about living with MS, http://www.msrenegade.com. I have a page dedicated to caregiver's stories, so I welcome any caregivers to consider leaving a post about your experience.

Be well and let us know how you are doing. I am sending virtual hugs and real prayers your way.

Herrad said...

Hi Cranky,
Please visit my blog and pick up your You Inspire Me Award.
Love,
Herrad