Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Old Friends

I joined Facebook in January or February of this year. I had always thought it was a tool focused more on the social needs of the young, so hadn't paid it much attention. Then I read an article on slate.com that went through all the reasons why you should join FB and effectively debunked all the preconceived notions I had about it. I thought then I'd give it a try.

Well, I'm glad I did join it. I have reconnected with old friends from high school and college as well as friends from even earlier in my youth. It's helped me find people whose whereabouts I did not know, so without a tool like FB, I'd probably never have found them.

It also gives an easy way to keep up with work colleagues I consider friends and friends from prior jobs. I found out an old friend had adopted a second child, saw baby pictures from a work colleague's new addition right away and got to see some nieces and nephews all grown up (that I haven't seen in person in a decade).

With MS in our lives, we have become increasingly isolated over the years. We're quite the homebodies and don't get out all that often. And, I must confess I'm not the best at keeping up my side of friendships. FB gives me some connections to friends, both old and new, that would be much harder to handle if done entirely by email, phone and in-person visits.

The best thing to come out of FB to date is a connection with a friends from my high school days whom I haven't seen in over 30 years. She lives in Salt Lake City now but is now back in Massachusetts to visit her parents and siblings who are still here in this area. (Did I mention before that I live in the house I grew up in, so I am still here, too!) Tonight, we are taking her out to dinner. I am so excited at the prospect of reconnecting with her!

7 comments:

Herrad said...

Hi Cranky,
Great post.
Have an excellent dinner.
Love,
Herrad

steve said...

I really don't like Facebook. If my highschool friends don't have my e-mail address, there's probably a reason.

This one is for Skip: Smuggler Swallows Condom Full Of Cuban Cigars

Mmmm... Dangerously Cheddared...

Cranky said...

Herrad - thanks for your comment. It was a great dinner.

Steve - unfortunately, I had let all my friendships from high school lapse. FB was a way to get back in touch. Thanks for the link for Skip!

awb said...

I joined FB to keep an eye on the kids activities and got hooked on the games! I did reconnect with a group from school, but I think I made them uncomfortable, most didn't know about the MS. Sorry to have ruined their memories of me. Mostly I'm with Steve, if I haven't talked to you in 30 years, I'll probably be OK if I don't talk to you for the next 30.

Andy

Cranky said...

Andy - it's true that I'd be okay if I didn't connect back up with folks I haven't had contact with in many years. But, for me, it's nice to reforge connections with people with whom I had strong relationships but then we both let them lapse.

It's true that some people don't know how to handle MS. Some people are surprisingly straightforward and okay in their dealings with it. Like the friend we had dinner with on Wednesday night.

Herrad said...

Hi Cranky,
I am on facebook too but do not see the point, thought I could find olf friends but seems you need their email addresses.
Oh well, maybe I will understand it soon.
Love,
Herrad

Cranky said...

Herrad - most of the people I added at first as friends on FB were people I went to high school and college with that FB found for me, based on my years of graduation. Then, I searched for some old friends and work colleagues and found a few of them. Since then, as others have seen me as a friend on a friend in common, I've received more friend requests and vice versa.