Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cranky Reason #2: It's After Dark

Reason #2: It's dark outside. Yes, it's as simple as that. As the day progresses, my patience, energy and sparkiness fade. As these resources wane, so does my ability to help with good grace. A request that would have been readily accomodated at 9am gets a far less receptive response at 9pm. As these build up, so can my crankiness.

De-crank strategy: Well, I can't stop helping in the evenings, so how best to keep up the spirits? Once I've settled in on the couch in the living room, laptop on lap, it's hardest for me to assist. So, I can check in with Skip between the time the dishes are done and the butt hits the couch. "Anything else you need, hon?" A bottle of water or a snack fetched then is much easier than later, when I'm playing some poker or reading a good book.

2 comments:

steve said...

I have to admit I am the same way. The later it gets, the less patience I have. With the help of a social worker, BR and I came up with some ground rules for what requests I can turn down, and when it's time to go to bed.

That shared understanding goes a long way towards keeping the peace.

Cranky said...

Thanks for your note. Always a help to get another's perspective, especially when your experience is similar.