Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Caregiver Aids #9: Medical ID - Family Caregiver


Was checking out the National Family Caregivers Association website (nfcacares.org, the more logical nfca.org url is a fastpitch softball site or some such thing). Was prompted to go there as I'm reading a book on caregiving written by one of the founders, Suzanne Mintz. (More on that book in coming posts. It's got a lot of meat for me; have been giving it a lot of thought.)

Anyway, the NFCA store had a link over to American Medical ID, suggesting family caregivers should consider purchasing one. This way, in case of an emergency and the caregiver is ever injured or incapacitated in some way, those providing care would see that another person depends on you for help. By following the NFCA link to the American Medical ID site, you receive a 10% discount on your purchase. (And American Medical ID gives NFCA a donation equal to 10% of the purchase price.)

I thought it was an idea that had merit. I bought the dog tag version in stainless steel. It had plenty of room to indicate who I provide care to, my relationship to that person, that she has MS and the name and phone number of an alternate contact. With regular shipping and the 10% discount, it came to about $42.

With any luck, no one will ever have to look at this because I'm lying unconscious somewhere! But, if needed, this will help get Skip assistance much more quickly than might otherwise occur.

5 comments:

awb said...

I never thought of it from that angle, I always only saw those bracelets for the person being cared for. Great tip, thanks!

Andy

Anonymous said...

That's a really good idea Cranky, must give you both a little more peace of mind! May sound silly, but I carry a little note in my wallet that says my dogs are alone and need someone to go over and take care of them if anything should happen to me.

Cranky said...

Andy - I saw them the same way as you. It wasn't until I saw the mention on the National Family Caregivers site that I flipped my thinking around.

Rain - I think that's a great idea for Spencer and Winston!

Diane J Standiford said...

BRILLANT! My partner and I need some.

Cranky said...

Diane - I think it's a great idea for caregivers. Glad you agree.