Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Is it Friday Yet?

By all rights, from my brain's perspective, it should be Friday today. I've already had a more than full week, with plenty of crankiness to boot, and the brain is ready for the weekend.

I think it's due to two things: crappy sleep and my brain is "full."

It's been difficult this week to sleep well once into bed for the night. Falling asleep on the couch for an hour or two before going to bed has worked just fine. But, once in bed, I haven't been sleeping easily or staying asleep for long. I think this is due to my shoulders making me uncomfortable and sleeping a bit on the couch before bedtime. So, we're looking at buying a more comfortable mattress and I'm thinking about making an MD appointment to have the shoulders looked at again (this is a big step for me). I'm going to try and not go to sleep until we go to bed so I am more tired when my head actually hits the pillow.

On the brain being "full" ... I have had just about enough for my brain to handle this week so I don't have much capacity to handle anything new. New stuff, then, isn't absorbed easily, which is what helps to prompt cranky reactions. This can be as simple as a schedule change for one of our aides. Or, as major as trying to cram one more thing into an already jam-packed morning with tight deadlines looming. Just looking for a chance to "chill" so I can feel less at capacity. I suspect a weekend of mindless stuff - knocking off items on the to do list - will help me regain some capacity and get me feeling more organized, to boot.

On a slightly different subject, it's been a lovely, cool day here. With the work day almost over, I'll be heading out with the pups to give the 3 of us a short walk before dinner. Can't wait!

2 comments:

awb said...

Remember Cranky, step one is to take care of yourself. There I fixed all of your problems, what's next?

When you get a chance, I have something for you on my page. Enjoy the cool weather, it's almost gone.

Andy

Cranky said...

Andy - funny you should mention step 1 being to take care of myself. I have a post partially composed about caregivers taking care of themselves. Easier said than done, as I'm sure you know.

I'll go check out your page soon.

It's beautiful here today. About 70. Skip and her aide are outside on the patio chillin'. I am officially jealous.