Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Off to the Dentist

I took Skip to an oral surgeon today to have a tooth extracted. We were there for well over 2 hours, but it all worked out very well. The dentist used novacaine rather than anesthesia so it took quite a while for the numbness to really set in, which accounted for most of the time we were there. The extraction itself only took about 5 minutes.

For a while, we were on a bit of a hiatus for Skip going to the dentist because we couldn't figure out how to get her transferred into the dentist chair. Up until about 3 years ago, I would use our "pick and plop" move for the transfer: put Skip's wheelchair beside the dentist chair, grab her upper arms, pull her up out of the wheelchair, swivel her around to the dentist chair and then plop her down. It's been so long since I've done that, as I tried to remember the steps, I couldn't believe I really did that move multiple times in a day for every transfer, day after day, for many years.

So, anyway, as I was saying, Skip had to stop going to the dentist for a while as we tried to figure out a new way to get her into the dentist chair. We finally realized that putting a twin sheet folded in half under Skip in the wheelchair could work like a sling to lift her with. We first tried it with MW, Skip's intrepid aide. MW is strong and very tall for a woman, perhaps a bit taller than me and I'm 5'11". She stood at Skip's head, me at her feet. Picking up the four corners of the sheet, we were able to transfer her safely into the dentist chair. Woo hoo! MW has had 2 shoulder surgeries since then, so we hornswaggled my brother into helping out. Today's transfer was absolutely the smoothest ever. The dentist's assistant even commented on how it was the best she'd ever seen.

We filled a Tylenol with codeine prescription on the way home and Skip took one even before the novacaine wore off to try to minimize the pain. After an early dinner, I put her to bed. When I came in from doing the dishes, she told me her tooth was bothering her and I suggested she try to sleep. Shortly after assuring me she couldn't fall asleep before 11, I heard her light snoring. It's 9:30. Sleep well, Skip!

6 comments:

Josie said...

I hope Skip feels better when she wakes up. Holy crap your 5' 11"! *jealous*

Have Myelin? said...

Do many MS'ers have trouble with novacaine? I thought it was just me!

I hope Skip is better today. AND... don't you think the dental office should provide assistance at YOUR direction to get Skip into the chair? Or am I naive.... (probably)

Cranky said...

VJ - Skip slept well through the night and until 7:20. Normally, if I sleep that late, she wakes me up. Just regular Tylenol today, no codeine, so the pain is definitely reduced.

I always wanted to reach 6'. I'm actually 5'10-1/2" but I round up. :-)

Sherry - Skip doesn't have problems with novacaine. I wasn't aware that MS could present a problem with its use. Bummer for you. Of course, I hate getting novacaine shots so much, I have opted for no numbing before drilling if I was getting a small cavity filled.

I think hospitals should provide assistance because they have lots of staff around. Dentist offices are usually populated with just a few assistants who are typically women. I'd prefer they did the transfer but accept that they can't.

Unknown said...

Kudos on the 'MacGyver lift'! That doctor's or dentist's offices are so unprepared for transfers never ceases to amaze me.

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick

Have Myelin? said...

I thought by law they were required to accomodate the patient according to their needs...ADA and all you know....

Have Myelin? said...

I thought by law they were required to accomodate the patient according to their needs...ADA and all you know....