Saturday, January 21, 2012

Winter's Finally Arrived

Since the October Nor'easter, we hadn't had any snow up until yesterday. Yesterday, we picked up a couple of fluffy inches. Today, starting before dawn, we got more snow. All told, it probably amounted to 3 more inches. With the combined accumulation, I figured that meant it was time to pull out the snow blower.

Last winter was my first winter being unemployed. I took a look at our expenses and identified a bunch of ways to cut costs. One expense was snow plowing. I figured I could handle the driveway if we bought a snow blower. I'm not handy at all, so I didn't want a big, gasoline-powered snow blower that would need to be maintained and breakdown regularly. I found a great little Toro electric snowblower and bought that along with a long extension cord. It paid for itself about halfway through last winter. For the snowfalls over 8", it took two passes to take care of the entire driveway, but we don't get many storms that pile up that much snow.

This afternoon, when the snow finally tapered off, Addy and I went out while I shoveled paths and pits for the dogs. Then, I coaxed her into the house (for a little tiny dog, she really loves the snow) and pulled out the snowblower. This turned out to be the perfect snowfall for the first effort of the year. Not deep and very powdery. All the routines and approaches I'd figured out last year came back quickly. It was a pleasure to get outside in the clear, fresh air and take care of the driveway. And, of course, the snow blowing counts as exercise in Weight Watchers!

4 comments:

crafty said...

That's a good idea, Cranky. Especially since my snow service likes to send the plow for two inches of light powder. An electric snow thrower and a huge extension cord, eh? Hmmmmm. Picture Gary thinking (sweating, vein popping on forehead, blood seeping out of one nostril).

Cranky said...

Gary - That was typical behavior for our plow company as well.

My driveway is about 150' long and has a large turnaround at one end. Fortunately, the garage, where I plug in the extension cord, is near the center of the driveway so I don't need more than 100' of cord.

I'm sure thinking comes very easily to you! :-)

lightning36 said...

Snow service? Plow company? That is foreign talk for this Illinois guy. When it snows, you shovel -- unless a friend has a snow blower. Actually, it is best to have other people shovel for you ...

Cranky said...

lightning - I am a hearty New Englander, but a lazy one as well (perhaps that's an oxymoron). So, we used a plow service for 20 years here, while I was gainfully employed.